Re: "riceboy" & "fortune cookie" usage

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:51:22 -0700 "Mark Madison" <markie@proaxis.com>
writes:
>psht.. my girlfriend is Chinese and she laughs
>at every comment made on this list.

Im not chinese and I laugh at everything on the list too. Hmm.
So it would seem it doesn't matter what you are, you CAN laugh at the
list.

>I'm so fed up with Politically correct.

Ive never subscribed to the politically correct anthems. if I did, I
wouldn't be driving a Scirocco.
I grew up in a diverse ethnic environment. I grew up listening to my
ignorant backwoods grandfather use the word nigger like it was going out
of style. I am not black yet the word nigger is a very highly offensive
word to me.

I know the word Riceboy was coined to describe a certain type of car and
not the owners race. Im cool with that and its also a very funny web
page. (Inaccurate tho it may be.) However there have been many people
(Especially on the VW Newsgroup) who take the term one step farther and
step into the realm of ignorance. This is where the term Riceboy became
offensive to me. Nobody here has ever used it in a negative way so im not
saying anyone here on the list for using it in such a way.

The word has been soiled in my mind and it can never mean the same thing
to me again. Much in the same way, although not nowhere near the scale
and scope as the swastika symbol has been forever altered to represent
the Nazi's even tho its origins are of various different (All of which
were non white too which, I find very humorous.) cultures.
has been it has nothing to do with politically correctness. More of e
mental consciousness than anything.

Benton Yoshida taught me a couple years ago about the term "Jap" being
offensive. I originally thought it was silly that he was offended
especially since I meant absolutely no offense in what I had said.

After a few exchanges of e-mail I learned that it indeed was important
enough to him that I stopped using it that way and simply altered it to
"jap." to get my point across that I was talking about Japanese built
cars and not the people. (hyphen it like US. or MEX.) Was I now
politically correct in doing so? Hell no, I was being considerate of my
fellow man. Simple as all that.

>People should get over their insecurities and
>laugh with us.  if its funny.. its funny.

Right, they should. People should also not be prejudice but they are.
That's just how I see it. I hope your views are not exactly the same as
mine or we will live on a boring planet. (That or I will be your next
worldly leader! How scary is that!)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and