Re: Cylinder Head Gasket

Been there, the head gasket can leak oil for two reasons, one the head
gasket has gone to shit, or two the head is warped, or both.  You'll
know the answer to the first one as soon as you take off the head.
Then do as the manual says to find out if its warped, any doubt have it
machined.  As for the threads, yah you can use the bolts, but a tap is
a lot better, faster and better. The tap is the size of the headbolt,
which you will know once you get the right socket for it.  Good luck.

--- Joshua Strait <joshua13s@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What causes the head gasket to leak oil?  Is it just age or is the
> head warped?  The gasket is wet with oil around a good part of the
> engine.  Is the replacement of the head gasket as straight forward as
>
> the Bently makes it out to be?  How should I go about cleaning out
> the
> threads? Can I just use a new head bolt to chase the threads or do I
> need an actual tap to do it?  Also, what type and size are the head
> bolts?  Any help or advice would be great.
>
> TIA
>
> Josh Strait
> 1988 Scirocco 16v (black)

> If you experience other problems, email:
> scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org

===
Scottish
'83 Rocco