Re: Whats up?

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 07:30:21PM -0700, Mike wrote:

> Are they actually that special?

Yes. The connectors are weird and only used on 16v VWs.

> Could I not get the Accel 8MM kit and make a set?

Nope. I don't belive that the ends are removable.

Stock ones cost $89 at www.germanautoparts.com, you should be able to get
performance wires (NOT PEP BOYZZZ) for $140 or so.

RapidParts ones are 150, New dimsensions are 130.

> They were also nice enough to tell me they believe my tranny is going

So they say. The also want you to drop $200 on stock wires. Fuckers
probably want to charge you another 50 to install them, I bet.

> my reverse lights do not work,

30-40 $ part. 10 minute job with a 9 (10?) mm socket.

> my clutch needs a pedal cover,

um, a dollar or so. Or treat yourself to some oversized covers. They are
really nice to have.

> my clutch cable is bad,

www.euroselect.com has the original self adjusting version for 25 or
5 bucks for the stronger manual adjustment version.

> my windsheild sprayers are broken,

Cheep parts from the dealer. might as well get the dual-squirter kind.
someone on the list has the part numbers.

> and my header leaks!

Do you HAVE a header??? if it's the exhaust manifold, it probably just
needs a bolt tightened.

> As far as the header what would be a good upgrade at this point?

Well, the car doesnt have a tubular header as stock, it has a cast iron
exhast manifold. They are nigh indestructable, it most likely just needs
exhaust gaskets or tightening. I would stay away from headers for a street
car, they crack like sumbitches and dont add too much power in a 1.8 16v
unless used in conjunction with lots of other mods.  Even Techtonics, who
make great headers for racing, recomend that you keep the stock manifold
for the street.

Dan