Re: removing front struts

On Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:26:01 PDT "Joshua Strait" <joshua13s@hotmail.com>
writes:

>-snip-
>and Liquid Wrench on it and I tapped on it but it still won't budge.
>What can I do??  I want to get them loosened so I can do the job next
>weekend.  I twisted pretty hard, and it seems like I'm going to bust my
>allen wrench before the hex screw breaks loose.

First of all ,the allen wrench should only be used to hold the strut
tube. You will only break the wrench otherwise.
You are going to need an impact wrench to get it off. I think its a 22mm
nut? Forget. Anyways, what you can do is take it to a tire shop and ask
one of the kids to shoot loose the 2 nuts. Then take it home and go to
town.

>BTW neither side will break loose.  The righty-tighty, lefty-loosey
>rule does apply doesn't it???
>Thanks for any help.

It applies here.
Your going to need a spring compressor too. don't remove those 2 nuts
without one. SPANG! ouch, that's sucks.
Your also going to need something to put the strut tube into once you get
the spring off. A tube vice or something to bolt the tube to so you can
take a spanner wrench to the strut tube cap. (A big pair of channel locks
works too.) Get the cap loose, remove the old strut, don't pour out the
oil that's in there. Leave it in there. Then install the new struts and
go have your car aligned when your done.
Simple job.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and