removing front struts

I need some help.  I plan to replace my struts and shocks next weekend,
so yesterday I was sizing up the nuts and bolts I need to remove them
and I just started tinkering with the hex head flange nut that is
attached to the strut shaft (I think).  It is the one above the strut
bearing in the engine compartment.  Well, I found a socket to hold the
strut shaft nut so I could remove the little hex nut.  I put WD-40 on it
and Liquid Wrench on it and I tapped on it but it still won't budge.
What can I do??  I want to get them loosened so I can do the job next
weekend.  I twisted pretty hard, and it seems like I'm going to bust my
allen wrench before the hex screw breaks loose.
BTW neither side will break loose.  The righty-tighty, lefty-loosey rule
does apply doesn't it???

Thanks for any help.

Josh

'88 16v Scirocco