Re: Crankshaft problems.

On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 23:53:39 -0500 Tyler Chamberlain <x-frog@home.com>
writes:

>Also, it is a little tricky to get into first gear unless the car is
>practically stopped, could this be a problem with the clutch cable? or
>shift bushings?
>
>Thanks for the help...
>                                        Tyler

It would be hard to say without looking at the car but its definitely
possible if your shifter bushings were in disrepair.
As a rule, most VW trannies don't like to downshift into 1st. Both of
mine do but That's probably because I do it all the time and the syncro's
are in a stage where they will allow me to do it without any problems.
First few times they protested. Now they obey happily.

Either way, you should take a look at he condition of your shifter
bushings. Just the feeling of having all new bushings (and shifter pieces
if needed) transforms an ordinary VW into a fun driver for less than $20.
It really gives the feeling of a new car, oddly enough. Too bad it wont
ever smell like a new car again but hey. Whatever.

I just completely rebuild a local chicks shifter system in her 82 Roc
which had about a foot of fore and aft play (before the car even shifted
gears.) when I started. The fact it had NO bushings had a little to do
with it and when I was done, it felt almost as tight as mine does. YMMV.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and