Crankshaft problems.

 My '87 16v recently had to be taken to the shop (no, im not a mechanic)
because it was making a strange noise in the engine. The guy at the shop
told me it was some problem that many VWs have with their crankshafts,
something about the end being under to much stress and braking. He wants
$450cdn for a new crank + $1200cdn for labour, after taxes that would be
around $2000cdn. I was wondering if I should replace the entire engine
instead, preferably with the 2.0L? I think it would be cheaper, and the
2.0L would be an improvement anyways. My current engine has ~210,000 km
on it, so I think I would be wasting my money by puting a new crankshaft
in...
What do you guys think?

Also, it is a little tricky to get into first gear unless the car is
practically stopped, could this be a problem with the clutch cable? or
shift bushings?

Thanks for the help...
                                        Tyler