Re: [tech, kinda] rear brakes

--- mark hausler <greenchester@scirocco.zzn.com> wrote:

> I pulled my rear drums on my '81 tonight and found something really weird.
It
> seems that my wheel bolts have been hitting the top spring bar that holds
the
> two brake shoes. One side was worse than the other. I guess this was that
> clicking noise I would get from time to time. Has this happened to anybody
> out there? Should I just trim the end of the bolts? These were the bolts
that
> came with the new rims (3 years ago) I never noticed any braking problems.

I've experienced this before when using Mercedes Benz lug bolts (required for
BBS rims w/thick centers) on my OE rims.  VW uses two lengths of lug bolts -
one of steel rims and another for alloy rims.  Depending on your wheels, you
may be able to use the steel rim lugs to solve your problem.  My current
problem is exactly opposite - I have 2-3 short lugs and run alloys.  After a
race, those lugs are barely finger tight.  Fortunately, a buddy of mine who's
clearing out his VW stash has some extras.

> Also I find it truly pathetic that I have to jack up my 'rocco to get the
oil
> pan under the car to drain the oil, and then jack it down to drain it all,
> and then...well you get the picture.

That ain't pathetic, that's half the fun.  I can't change the oil in my VW or
my BMW w/o jacking up the car - at least you can lower the car over the pan -
my cars don't like that much.  OTOH, there's my truck - I lie on the creeper
and still have room to maneuver.
===
Matthew Yip
mgyip@yahoo.com