RE: [tech] [tranny swaps] [A2 to A1]

Does not matter your aerodynamic and mechanical drag will nail you before
you can redline in 5th gear.  But if you really need to know, you need final
drive ratio, tire diameter overall rolling, fifth gear ratio, then what
engine RPM you want to be running.  But for example a 1988 16v Scirocco on
the chart has close to 136 mph top speed if in a vacuum, with aeroid and
mechanical loses you are down to 120 mph or so.  HP will help, but in the
top speed game aerodynamics will pay off bigger than HP.  Lower your drag
you will go faster, but the aeroid lose curve will increase exponentially
the faster you go.  The real question comes in where do you want the RPMs to
fall when cruising down the road.  And pick your final drive and ratio to
optimize your performance with in the legal limits.

Stephen Jacobs
87 8v SII