Re: [tech] [tranny swaps] [A2 to A1]

>On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:31:56 -0700 "Brian Honnold" <bhonnold@pac-cap.com>
>writes:
>
>>Do the math and figure our how fast you would be going at redline with
>>the 9A.
>>I have had it at 125 and still going...........nowhere near redline
>

>No dude, I dont DO math. I call Mike and hew tells me these things. :)
>
>Well, I know my FF tranny has a 3.89 R&P, yours 9A has a 3.67. Your
>overall gear ratio is 3.27 while mine is 2.96. Mines pretty damn tall and
>if I had the ponies to push it to redline, id be something like 170mph.
>(Sweet deam aint it!)
>Id say your redline is probably near 130mph, something like that. Can you
>dare to run it to redline like that tho in 5th gear? It bugs me to run
>mine out to 5,500 rpm's in 5th. I couldnt imagine what it would be like
>at 6,250+!
>

>              Shawn Meze
>86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
>The Nastiest and Silliest
>looking Scirocco in all of San Diego!
>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Good point on the math comment.  That's why I told you to do it.

I can't get the 1.8RD to redline in 5th gear.  There is some serious
aerodynamic force above 125 and I think big HP is the only way to push a Mk1
past it.

All the way out in 4th, like 6350 is really close to 120 so I'm not sure
where the top is if 5th would go there.  When I shifted from 4th to 5th it
was turnin like 5800 and I was running out of clear road.

God I love I5 south of Sacramento.

Just for the record, anyone know the redline of the RD motor???

Brian Honnold
'78 Rocco Ragtop

- --