Re: [8V] Lower Timing Belt Cover

I don't know if they have snow drifts in New England (funny, I'd have
thought they did) but ...

My grandfather's 1975 Rabbit threw 3 timing belts in 2 Midwestern-Ontario
winter until it went in for a modification courtesy of VW - a timing belt
cover!  A great car for it's size in the snow, but you start nosing drifts
over the hood and that snow is going to hit the belt hard sooner or later.
That damned prevailing west wind piles snow up HARD around here -
sometime's it's like hitting sand - none of this damned powder stuff... :)

I tried to climb through a three foot drift in my '80 Rabbit about 10
years ago - unfortunately the drift was 100 feet long, not 10 as I had
expected.  After twenty feet the wheels lost traction and the car came to
a stop.  The engine compartment was a brick of snow (apparently the engine
can still run on the air that makes it through a snow-choked airbox).  We
had to pull the car down of the snow with a tractor - if only I'd gotten
the half-track conversion.

...Drew

>Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:48:01 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Scott Pidgeon <spidgeon@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [8V] Lower Timing Belt Cover
>
>Greg,
>
>I wouldn't worry about it. In June of 1987, I took the covers off to
>change the belt for the first time, and throughout the subsequent
>belt-changing, the covers never went back on. That car has lived
>happily ever after in New England (i.e., snow, sticks, rocks, potholes
>that could kill a Peterbuilt...)
>
>So, lessee, that's 12 years!
>
>Scott  <--waiting for the jinx to kick in.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca

- --