Re: Gear crunch when shifing into 2nd

I second Jason's comments(below) and I'm living(driving) proof of it.  I've
had my Scirocco from day one(20 years last February) and tried to learn to
shift as smoothly as possible, even when going all out.

When I changed my clutch, during my engine swap at about 100,000 mile, the
factory original clutch had almost as much meat on it still as the Sachs
sports clutch I was putting in.  And I had autocrossed while in school too.

Right now, I'm about to put in a 5-speed and I'm still on my factory original
motor mounts, all four of them.  I do notice my passenger mount starting to
creep forward and has move more noticeably in the last 6 months than it ever
did in the last 19 years.(maybe it's the nitrous)  I will be replacing them
this year when the tranny goes in.

An interesting observation,  I've never had any problems with grinding on any
gear(unless I screw up and declutch to soon) and this thing has 150, 000 plus
miles now.  I also never downshift in order to use the engine to brake
with(why bother, brake technology is so good these days).  When I do
downshift, I try real hard to "heel-toe" or double clutch and get all the
rpm's to match.

It is also interesting to know that my tranny shop told me that any time they
rebuild a VW transmission, they always replace the 2nd and 3rd gear syncros
along with other details and they use sintered metal syncros for a buttery
smooth shift.(I'll soon find out myself)

And Jason, I don't hate you.

Regards to you all and to all a good night.
Long live our Sciroccos!

 -dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner