Re: Gear crunch when shifing into 2nd

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:31:56 PDT "Ian Overholt" <ioverholt@hotmail.com>
writes:
>That sounds similar to my story.  The synthetic has reduced the
>grinding, but if I go above 3K and then try to shift quickly to 2nd
>while the tranny is cold, it will still grind.  But if I shift slower
>and give the syncro time to work, there's no grinding.  I've suspected
>the 2nd gear syncro needs replacing, and probably will be replaced if
>I ever have a need to remove the transmission.

My Roc's tranny was rebuilt about a year and a half ago and it shifts
without problem, no matter ho fast or how slow. I use NEO Synthetic fluid
and I only get a slight grind going into reverse when its cold.
M<y GLi's tranny was rebuilt about a year ago. It has the same NEO
Synthetic fluid in it, all new syncros, bolt kit on the diff ect and it
still will grind while shifting into 2nd when its cold. Its just a
typical VW Tranny deal. Some do it, some dont and it doesnt always mean
its a bad syncro. Some trannies just grind.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use