Oil additives and Prolong

This message is making the rounds of the VW related mailings lists, and there's been
some talk about this kind of crap in the past. Here's yet another data point...

==Brett

- ----- Begin Included Message -----

To: "'A-2_16V@connecticom.com'" <A-2_16V@connecticom.com>
Subject: Oil additives and Prolong

Occasionally someone on the list asks about the benefits of using an
oil-additive such as Slick-50.  Not surprisingly, the same thing happens on
the BMW digest. The below was posted recently. I found it funny and thought
that you might too.

	I saw post asking about oil additives (specifically SLICK 50),
	here is another good one.

	Forwarded from NSX Digest.
	>In the October issue of Consumer Reports they made a note
	>about "Prolong engine treatment".
	>
	>(This is directly from the article)
	>
	>Prolong claims: "Creates a low-friction surface one molecule thick"
	>
	> The bond is supposed to last even when the oil is drained. In the
	>infomercial, Unser and others drive along a racetrack in the
	>Mojave Desert without oil or oil drain plugs. The same ad,
	>broadcast nationally, pictures a woman who, thanks to "Prolong"
	>supposedly drove from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles without oil.
	>(the reason she stopped after 4 hours,40 minutes, and 7 seconds?
	>...She was hungry.)
	>
	> We didn't test the other claims, but we did see whether "Prolong"
	>would protect an engine after the oil was drained.
	>
	> We installed a factory-rebuilt GM 4.3-liter V6 engine into each
	>of two Chevrolet Caprices. We broke them in with Pennzoil motor
	>oil, changed the oil and oil filter in each car, and added
"Prolong"
	>to one of them. "Prolong" claims to work immediately. We drove
	>more than 100 miles, then drained the oil and started driving
again.
	>After  only 13 minutes and  five miles,  BOTH engines failed
	>SIMULTANEOUSLY.
	>
	> Today's high-quality oils don't need extra additives. The Federal
	>Trade Commission has told the makers of other additives to stop
	>making false claims. We have notified the FTC about this test.

Chris Williams
1990 GLI
chris_williams@ml.com