Re: Nationals?

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, I.Mannix wrote:

> Kevin got 8th(fastest VW, BTW)!  He had a good to great first day,
> and(correct me if I'm wrong, Wenzez) felt like he was missing something on
> the North course.  I coned out of the trophies - thought I was driving the

The North course was a lot more fun than the South, but I:

1. Never felt like the tires were working well (could be because they never
really got warm - or I simply didn't adjust well to the surface).

2. Drove way over my head.  Didn't necessarily suck, but I should have
finished better - I normally beat the guy in the Fiat that finished in 4th
(not taking anything away from his drive, mind you - he kicked butt).
Being the fastest VW is nice, but it's better to be the "fastest VW that
beat some of the fastest Fiats" I think...

There are course maps up at:

http://www.nude.org/cashmo/98south.jpg
http://www.nude.org/cashmo/98north.jpg

(don't ask about the domain name; I have *no* idea)

> What else?  Mark Pilson has one of the nicer Mk1s you'll ever see, he's

Picture of Mark's car at:

http://rmsolo.privatei.com/nationals/day_2/pilson_scirocco.gif

It looks even better in real life.  I think next year I may actually wash my
car before I go... :)

> glad I hit that cone;).  Lots of illegal torque suppression devices out
> there - if there are any Nationals-lurkers out there, I'm going to be a
> real PITA about those TSDs next year;).  Top 5 cars(Fiat Fiat Fiat Fiat

He's not the only one - I was amazed that nobody protested those things.
There were probably 10-12 VWs (two that landed in the trophies) that were
inches away from being disqualified.  If you're planning on going to
Nationals, for pete's sake, read the dang rule book - it'd be a shame to
spend all that time and effort just to get tossed for something as silly as
a modified motor mount...

> all we need is a big chunk of concrete and some cones, right?  RIGHT!  CSP
> could use some VWs, you might not catch the Hondas(sorry, but so true.
> Miller, PROVE me wrong, I would LOVE to see it!!:), but you can at least

Speaking of the Honda thing, anyone curious enough to look at the full DSP
results will have noticed that while I was the fastest VW, I wasn't the
fastest FWD - he finished 14 100ths ahead of me in a...

CRX.

1300cc CRX, no less (or should that be "no more").

Next year, he's going down...

Kevin Y. Wenzel
kwenzel@privateI.com
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/

- --