Re: Nationals?

At 07:57 PM 9/22/98 -0500, Shannon Fenton wrote:
>How did it come out?

Kevin got 8th(fastest VW, BTW)!  He had a good to great first day,
and(correct me if I'm wrong, Wenzez) felt like he was missing something on
the North course.  I coned out of the trophies - thought I was driving the
North(second day) course OK, but apparently not.  I was missing something
big on that one - looking at reference points(other drivers) I was .5-.7
slower than "normal," or they were the same faster than normal.  Who knows.
 I had a great time, I think Kevin did, too(between the 6 alotted runs, we
acted like idiots....).  Good time had by all.  Netguy Jonathan Dove came
out with his 83 GTI, had a good time, nice to meet him.  A good friend of
mine, Daryl Beck, traipsed out from Boston(actually, Greenfield now) for
the event - he did REALLY well being that it was his first year of
autocrossing(not just first Nationals, but first SEASON!!).   The EP
Scirocco from Vermont was there, he put a real rollcage into it(purple, of
course), looks much more like a real EP car now.  Not sure how he did.
What else?  Mark Pilson has one of the nicer Mk1s you'll ever see, he's
glad I hit that cone;).  Lots of illegal torque suppression devices out
there - if there are any Nationals-lurkers out there, I'm going to be a
real PITA about those TSDs next year;).  Top 5 cars(Fiat Fiat Fiat Fiat
Capri) all had their intakes pulled to check for portmatching(a very good
thing, I belive that DSP is getting a little lax in the rules area).  All
were found legal, which is good.  Chris Dorsey, a local guy in a Fiat,
placed 4th!!  Had a great Nationals.  As always, 99% of the DSP crowd were
pleasant to be around, great bunch of guys and girls.

Speaking of which, we(DSP) were ALMOST the largest class this year - Matt
Baldoni, a Scirocco driver from Connecticut was a noshow.  Some crap about
a new job;).  ANYHOW, all of you DSP guys get on it NOW, let's break 50
next year.  We had 45 this year, I'd bet we could break 50, if not more!
Plan now, Nationals is in early September, in Topeka, Kansas.  "Equally
inconvenient" from everyone, pretty lousy place, but hey, it is Nationals -
all we need is a big chunk of concrete and some cones, right?  RIGHT!  CSP
could use some VWs, you might not catch the Hondas(sorry, but so true.
Miller, PROVE me wrong, I would LOVE to see it!!:), but you can at least
beat up on the 914!  Come on!  It is a LOT of fun, you'd all get to meet me
and figure out that I'm not THAT much of a jerk(especially when I'm turning
off life for a week and autocrossing).  Plan now, get vacation time, load
up the car, drive to Kansas.  Daryl did it, Jonathan Dove did it, so can
YOU!  You have to be an SCCA member, have to attend a Divisional or Tour,
$80 entry fee, there's free camping, it really is about a LOT more than six
runs.  I'd love it if DSP made up its own rungroup.

Weather was good, we had fun, Kevin drove well, I drove pretty well for me,
but I think I missed something on that North course(although I can replay
it in my mind to the specks of dust, sounds, whole nine yards, kinda cool,
but I still cannot figure out what I was doing wrong...).  DSP is rapidly
becoming a VW class - it already was, but we're creeping closer to the
Fiats, that Capri is doomed next year, eh, lots of fun, and you should go.
All of you.  Plan now, it'll seem easy when the time comes!

I.Mannix
- --