Re: Synchro Scirocco

Yup that was the one... ugly, but went like a stuck pig. Completely home-built car,
pretty much, just happened to have a Scirocco body stuck on top of it, because it was
light and had a low center of gravity.
    -Josiah

Jim Buck wrote:

> Yea, it was silver, right?  With a big ole wing on top?  That was mutated!  Saw it
> on Speedvision.
>
> Jim
>
> Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:
>
> > I saw a 10v 5cyl Turbo Quattro Scirocco once. It was schweet! They raced it up
> > Mt. Washington. It was NOT a roadworthy (read: road legal or comfortable) car,
> > and they basically cut the whole bottom out of the car, including the firewall,
> > and just refabricated it. The 5-cylinder engine doesn't really fit in the
> > engine bay (that's why they had to modify the firewall), and they just welded
> > in the subframes from a 4000 Quattro. The engine was from a 5000 Turbo. Pretty
> > cool stuff! The exhaust came straight off the manifold, through the firewall,
> > through where the passenger's seat would be if there was one, and out the back,
> > through the rear hatch, with exhaust diameter of probably 4" all the way back.
> > That thing accelerated so fast it was scary. It was the fastest car in a
> > straight line at Mt. Washington. They were going for the record, but didn't
> > make it. (Frank Sprongl did, of course, in his Audi S2)
> >     Basically, it requires refabrication of the whole car. This one was just
> > Scirocco sheetmetal. Everything else was made from scratch.
> >     -Josiah
> >     '83 Scirocco (for parts)
> >     '84 GTi (temporarily dead- needs fuel pump?)
> >     '86 Scirocco 8v (broken frame)
> >     '87 QSW (daily driver)
> >     http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
> >
> > Brandon Dove wrote:
> >
> > > Can anybody give me the low down on why no one has built a synchro
> > > Scirocco? Is it simply that there is far too much modification necessary
> > > to fit the synchro drivetrain etc. in a Scirocco? Thanks
> > >
> > > -Brandon Dove
> > > 89 8v Scirocco
> > >

> > --

> Jim Buck 1987 16v
>
> Got Wheels? Visit anyway!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5211/index.html

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

- --