re: mad props to Potterman

hi alex:
I put on a short-curve distributor this past thursday, along with a set of plug wires and bosch platinum plugs. I'll have to check my timing - I just advanced it until the sweet spot was where I wanted it. I've got a bone stock EJ (presume the stock head
??), and it helped out the bottom end tremendously. In my brief experience with it, it seems that more ignition timing simply moves the "surge" down the rpm range. Mine pulls great from idle up to 3500, but by then it's all done (further exacerbated by ei
ther a fuel delivery problem or clogged exhaust, or both - really has to be coaxed past 4000). No pinging or anything like that (pulling the cajon pass here in socal); i run either 89 or 92 octane, depending upon where i get the fuel from. I'll verify the
 timing, and let you know what I'm running.
it absolutely was the best bolt-on i've ever put on any car - huge improvement, very easy installation. just got to keep a 'stock' distributor around for those pesky smog inspections...

>hey all,
>
>I went on a frenzy this weekend and spent both days
>working on the roccos.  One of the things I did was >put
>in the euro distributor I got from Potterman.
>
>Wow.
>
>Everything that you guys said about it was true and >then
>some.  My previously gutless below 4k 1.8 8v suddenly
>has newfound torque!  It's definitely alot more >enjoyable
>to drive around town.
>
>Question though,
>I took it up to 6 degrees advanced, but I heard >somebody
>running 12.  I would like to know if anybody out there
>has some practical experience on timing for a mainly >stock
>JH with the euro curve distributor.  Also, I always >put
>92 octane in.
>
>Thanks.....
>

>Alex Ting (best $100 I've spent on the car so far)
>
>Millennium Solutions Group, Inc.
>8303 Sierra College Blvd., Suite 150
>Granite Bay, CA 95746
>
>Phone: 888-801-2001 or 916-797-9998