Re: Houston, we have another!

At 04:35 PM 9/20/98 PDT, Pete Jacobsen wrote:
>Also, what's the best way to fix a small radiator leak? I heard about
>something temporary involving egg whites but I'm a little skeptical...

Egg whites do in fact work.  So does McDonald's pepper, in a pinch.  Bar's
Stop Leak is probably more advisable, though - it works, will
not(supposedly) harm any internal stuff.  I've used all of the above in the
past with good results.  Bar's is the only one which is not entirely
temporary - and Bars will only work for any period of time on a small crack
which is not likely to propogate.  Pepper would be my next choice(I have NO
idea why it works, but it does...), although I never liked the idea of
putting a sand-like material into my coolant.  I did do it a few times, got
my old Cherokee from California to Boston(I think I had to reapply twice
over the 3000 miles).  Go to McDonalds, liberate a couple of cans from the
tables, squeeze them hard enough, the bottom pops out.  Dump into radiator,
run engine.  I would not recommend it, but it will work, provided the leak
is not huge.  Eggwhites simply boil in the hot water, and squeeze through
the crack, expanding as they go through - you'll wind up with a boiled egg
sticking out of your radiator.  Gross.  I've also had decent luck with the
radiator stop leak deals in a small clear tube, some are silver, some are
gold, have an uncanny resemblence to sparkly pepper.....

I.Mannix(glad I don't have to deal with that anymore....)
- --