Re: Fw: ODOMETER

> I am the recent owner of 2 scirocco's, a 86 8v and a 88 16v. The odometers
> on both of them are not working. Is this a common scirocco problem? The
> speedometer is working fine. Mileage is 125k and 147k
> Is there a gear in the speedometer that is worn or broken? New speed cable?
>
> TIA
> Larry

Not exactly. Probably.  Probably not.  In that order. :-)

No, this problem is not particular to the Scirocco, it (will probably) happens
to many VDO speedometers at some point.  Most likely, it's one of the two
things that you already mentioned, the small gear at the end of the cross
odo shaft is slipping, split, or broken in half.  If it's slipping, and I've
fixed two that were, it's a pretty easy fix.  Not to mention the fact that
you get a chance to roll your odo digits like dice.  "708 miles!  I win!"

Look on Jans' VW site for particulars in tearing down your speedo, or ask
me for more details (I have a tremendous amount of experience in taking apart
VW gauge clusters...custom gauge faces anyone? :-) )  Jans' site is at
http://alicudi.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html and you can see mine for details on
how to get the cluster out of the car and apart at
www.freeyellow.com/members2/da-studios.  Ask if you need more info.

Ahhh, I love taking a long Friday lunch at one of the local micro-brewhaus
places.  Shawn, you _might_ be jealous... :-)

==Brett

- --