Re: Dammit

Hmmm... I've never been able to get this to work. I always remove the axle nut,
pull out the control arm front bolt (19mm), and just pull outwards on the hub
until the splined shaft on the out CV comes out a bit. Then, holding the whole
assembly (hub, strut, control arm) out, I pull the splined shaft out the back.
I then disconnect the inner CV joint and take it out of the car. I've found
this to be the quickest way to do it, but I'm sure there are other ways that
work better for other people, like yours, for instance. Just offering another
way to do it.
    -Josiah

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

Ian Overholt wrote:

>  Next the pull:  If you disconnected the strut housing from the steering
> knuckle, you have to have the alignment checked.  With VW's however, you
> don't have to disconnect the steering to remove the axles.  All you have
> to do to remove the axle is remove the axle nut, remove the inner hex
> bolts, push the axle towards the wheel, push up on the inner portion of
> the axle(towards the exhaust) then pull the spindle through the hub.
> Sounds complicated, but if you just keep pulling and pushing, you'll see
> how it comes out.
>
> HTH,
> Ian Overholt
> '88 16v
>
> From: "Mike Weiler" <lerb@redrose.net>
> To: "'scirocco post'" <scirocco-l@privateI.com>
> Subject: Dammit
> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:25:49 -0400
>
>     Hey all...I have a question to ask....This weekend I went about
> replacing my passenger side axle because the CV was going bad. Well
> after
> exaxtly three days of driving I have noise back again.....What could be
> causeing this???? Is there something that keeps the car from steering
> harder
> to one side then another? Could it be something else that is making a
> noise?
> Soemthing else I need to replace at the same time? When I am going down
> the
> road in 4th gear I have a thumping noise and it also thumps a little
> when i
> trun left or right or apply the brakes slighty it transfers it more thru
> the
> steering wheel. I really hope it is not another axle because it is a
> pain to
> fix. This is my third axle on that side in three months (fisrt one went
> bad,
> second one was rebuilt wrong) I am getting to say the least
> frustrated.....anything cause them to fail prematurly?
>
>                 thanks, Mike

- --