Re: cv compatibility

Note to anybody who listened to me on the post about getting CV joints from
junk cars: I just remembered that there are actually two different diameters of
outside CV joints, too. They're compatible, you just need a different CV boot
for them...

Unfortunately, replacing the CV boot is exactly as hard as replacing the whole
CV shaft. Either job can be done without disconnecting the inner CV joint from
the transmission, but I find it easier to take it out. Depends if you strip one
of those bolts out or not : )
If you feel like doing it while it's on the car, do the following:
1. Undo that big 30mm nut in the center of your hub. Impact wrenches do this
very well, if you don't have one, just use a big breaker bar and a pipe. It'll
take a lot of force to get it off. If it doesn't, it's too loose.
2. Jack up that side of the car somewhere that doesn't touch the lower control
arm (on the rear mount is OK- you'll see why in a sec), and take the wheel off.

3. Undo the 19mm bolt that holds the front of the control arm to the frame of
the car, and remove it entirely. Then pull the whole hub assembly towards you
(the outside of the car). It should swing out and back, and you should be able
to pull the outer CV joint spline out of the hub.
4. Cut, break, or do whatever you want to those clips that hold the outer CV
boot on.
5. Pull the boot back from the CV joint, get yourself a largish hammer and give
that CV joint a good, solid RAP outwards. It should come off the axle shaft. If
it doesn't after hammering on it a bit, you're bummed, because you have a
clip-type. I've never run into one on an A1, but they do exist. Consult your
trusty Bentley, swear plenty, and look in there and attempt to spread the clip
apart while you rap on it.
6. Now the obvious: take the old CV boot off, don't get dirt in the CV, etc.
Put the new CV boot on (sometimes it's a bitch to get the small end over the
shaft.. keep persevering, it can be done), clip it up with the clips that
should be provided (end nippers are good for securing these, just don't squeeze
too tight and cut it!). They usually provide a new snapring to hold the CV
joint on the shaft. Install this if you want- you don't really have to replace
the old one unless it's really worn.
7. Put it all back together. Tighten that 30mm nut as tight as you can with an
impact gun, or as tight as you can with a breaker bar, no pipe. You can't
really tighten it too tight, but the spec is something like 160 ft-lb, I think.

Good luck!
    -Josiah

Brian Honnold wrote:

> [...]
>
> How hard is it to replace just the CV boot???  Can this be done with the
> driveshaft still on the car.  I have a new boot and the grease but didn't
> really want to pull the whole thing.
>
> Brian Honnold
> '78 Rocco Ragtop
>
> On Tuesday, September 15, 1998 2:35 PM, Wm. Josiah Erikson
> [SMTP:josiah@gsinet.net] wrote:
> > Taking a CV shaft out, replacing the outer CV joint and putting it back
> in
> > takes me about an hour and a half, maximum, but maybe I'm special. The
> outer
> > CV's I can get for like $35, I bet you can too.
> > Or, if you really want a whole used assembly, I'll sell you one. I'd need
> > know if you have 100mm or 90mm output shafts on your tranny, though.
> > BTW,
> > AFAIK, all VW outer CV joints are the same. Fox, Rabbit, Scirocco, Jetta,
> Golf,
> > etc. I think even Quantums have the same outer CV joint. The axle shafts
> are
> > all different, and there is some variation in the inner CV's as well, but
> the
> > outers should be the same.
> > If you're looking to replace a whole axle shaft with a used one, you can
> take
> > one from any 8v A1 chassis car, as long as you get the same side and you
> match
> > up the inner joint size. There are two sizes- 100mm ('85 and later, I
> think,
> > but I'm not sure) and 90mm. Perhaps the sportier VW's got the bigger
> output
> > flanges? I dunno...
> >     HTH!
> >     -Josiah
> >
> > Daniel A. Nowlan wrote:
> >
> > > I have been clicking on the right side for about 2 months, and I've
> decided
> > > to break down and do something about it finally now that it's cooled
> off a
> > > bit.  However, since my Rocco is my daily driver, I can't really have
> any
> > > down time.  Unfortunately, it's hard to rebuild the CV when it's still
> on
> > > my car.  What other VW CV's are the same as the one for my '86 8v?  I
> ask
> > > b/c I'm having a bit of a tough time finding an easy-to-get-to CV from
> > > Scirocco at the boneyard.  Are any of the 16v the same?  What about the
> > > Jetta, Golf, etc?  Thanks.
> > >
> > > Dan
> > > '86 8v red martian (for now)
> > >
> > >   mailto:nowlan@flash.net
> > >   http://www.flash.net/~nowlan/
> > >
> > > --
> >

> > --
> >  '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
> >  '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
> >  '86 Scirocco
> >  '87 QSW
> >  http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
> >  I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:

- --