Car died this morning

As I was pulling into the parking lot at work, my car died... I had
enough rolling momentum to get into my parking spot, but it would not
start again.

So, I want to bounce a couple of ideas off of the list...

First hunch is the fuel pump.  When I hopped in my car this morning, it
was a little harder to start than usual.  It took three tries.  I
chalked it up to the fact that I hadn't driven it all week.  On my way
in, I felt a couple of hiccups.  I thought it was odd, but didn't give
it much thought.  And then, when I turned into the parking lot, it died
when it went to idle.

I tried cranking it up to start it again, but it didn't fire.  I heard
the fuel pump relay clicking every 2 seconds or so, but I didn't hear
the whine of the fuel pump.

This is on an '80 Scirocco.  I haven't popped the hood yet, but I'm
quite sure it's not timing belt.  I replaced that a couple of months
ago.  The only other thing I can think that it would be (although
unlikely) is water in the distributor.  It's been raining here for the
past few days, but not much this morning, and I usually don't have a
problem there...

Any ideas?  Is this typical behaviour when a fuel pump dies?

Any help is appreciated!
- -Dave
- --