throttle cut out

anyone ever had their car juss floorin'-pedal to the metal to pull off
that manouver and get around that car and than the damn throttle just
cut out fully?  it almost cost me my life tonight.  the engine just died
for a second, and when i released the gas pedal and almost killed myself
trying to dodge other cars, the engine started working again normally.
it's like it hit a rev limiter and the car backed off, but i was at
about 4500-5000rpm????  it was very strange and scary to me, and i dunno
if i should be concerned.  any info would be appreciated.
sead
84,86 8v