[tech] GTi running again... now I have a question

Thanks to Brian Honnold, my GTi is running again! And much better than
before. Do fuel pumps lose pressure slowly before they die, and sap
power? Because when I started it up and drove it out of the driveway, it
felt VERY healthy. I'm happy. BUT...
That fuel line that runs from the pressure accumulator forwards to the
fuel line to the engine is leaking. I'm assuming that this is a very
expensive dealer-only part. Am I right? Anyone have one in really good
shape sitting around?
I was wondering, though.... instead of going to all of that trouble,
couldn't I just bypass the pressure accumulator? I don't really care if
there's pressure in the system when the car's off, because I have a fuel
pump switch (rather than a relay), so I can just turn on the switch, let
the pump run for a few seconds, and then start the car. I always do this
anyway- I think the accumulator isn't really doing anything as it is
(even before the fuel line started leaking). So would there be a problem
with taking the line that goes from the pump to the accumulator and
putting a fitting on the end of it that would connect it directly to the
fuel line that goes forward to the engine? The line that comes off the
pump is brand-new (I paid $75 for the darn thing), so taking it off the
accumulator wouldn't be a problem.
    TIA!
    -Josiah

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

- --