Re: valve cover gasket

On Wed, 09 Sep 1998 01:09:11 -0500 Greg <fren0027@tc.umn.edu> writes:
>Does anyone have any tips for getting my valve cover gasket to seal?
>I've just replaced it and tightened the nuts down further but I'm
>still getting that oh so delicious smell of burning oil off of my
exhaust
>manifold.

Typically, if you have removed the valve cover and reinstalled it, you
will have SOME residual oil leak onto the manifolds and after you start
it up it will smoke for a little while. Thats pretty much natural. It
happens, not much you can do about that part of it.

If you have problems with getting the valve cover to seal completely,
then you either have a warped valve cover (or some kind of damage that
allows oil to leak/seep.) or you are seriously overtightneing the valve
cover. Cork gaskets dont like a whole lot of torque as it is and I dont
think the torque for the nuts is even 14ft. lbs.

Im not very fond of the cork gaskets myself and just recently converted
both my Roc and my GLi to the fully rubberised valve cover gaskets. So
far, no leaks of any kind! It comes with new studs too. Its easy to
install. Im verry happy with it and its nive to not see oil stains down
the back of the head anymore.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and