Re: Fuel Pump/Tick/Road Trip

At 01:41 PM 9/8/98 -0600, mozg wrote:
>	Two weeks ago I took my intrepid 88 16v out
>here to school on Colorado (from 'home' in CT), documenting the
>trip to share with you guys. Ill let you know when I get it all up.

	Cool!

>problems. When you turn the key to the 'on' position (not start), the car
>always made a 'hum' sound for a few seconds, and was then silent. On this

	That was the sound of your fuel pumps pressurizing the system- and was
totally normal.

>particular day, the 'hum' escalated into an much higher pitched squeal
>upon ignition, and didn't stop. I made it almost all the way home (car
>running fine with the exception of the disconserting hum at low rpms), and
>it stalled. I got it started back up, revved it, and it stalled again. Two
>more times, and I pushed it the rest of the way home. Car sits for two
>days, and starts fine, idles fine ( didnt drive anywhere.. I dont
>like pushing it home :) I'm guessing this may be the fuel pump (or fuel
>transfer pump), but I dont know. Any thoughts?

	Textbook fuel pump failure.  Your car has 2 fuel pumps- one in the tank
called the transfer pump, and a main pump which is under the tank.
Generally it's the transfer pump which fails, and starves the outer pump of
fuel, which is why it bitches & moans like that.  (Horrible sound, isn't
it?)  Your best bet is to replace the transfer pump and see if the problem
is solved.  The pump should run you about $60, and is quite easy to
replace.  (You access it from the back seat.)  You should do this sooner
than later, because if you're starving the main pump of fuel, you'll kill
it, and that's the expensive one- somewhere around $160 for the original
BOSCH one (which you need, because your car will NOT run with any of the
aftermarket ones.)

>	One more annoying problem that developed about a month before the
>trip. When cold, the engine ticks loudly. I really don't know what causes
>a tick, but after running for a few minutes, it goes away and I dont have
>to worry about it again until its cold. Ignoring this problem hasnt made
>it go away (unlike *most* of my problems :) Thanks for any opinions!

	Heh, the "ignoring it" is my favorite way of solving problems. :)
	The ticking is your hydraulic lifters.  They generally start to tick with
age, and it's not a *horrible* thing, but it is probably a sign that
they're starving for oil.  Your best bet (IMHO) is to change to an oil that
circulates better when cold (Mobil One Synthetic for example).  And make
sure you use a VW OEM filter, Mann, or Mahle filter- they're the only ones
with this special kinda valve thingy that will keep your oil circulating
well. I just paid $4 for a filter from Mark @ Adirondack... so they're
cheap! :)

	Good luck, HTH, and all that jazz..
			Jason