Re: sulfur smell

A sulphur smell from the exhaust is quite common over here ( the UK,
that is...) on catalyser equipped cars. Not a problem for Sciroccos over
here as they were all non-CAT systems.
Presumably the sulphur content get converted by the CAT to a higher
proportion of the smelly (its too long since I did any Chemistry for
anything more technical) compounds than a non-CAT system.
Also, the sulphur content of fuel does vary, depending what region the
source oil came from.  I don't know though, if  the variability is
enough to give a noticeable difference in the 'smell'.