sulfur smell

OK...this is going to sound somewhat...well...odd:

My car farts.

With all seriousness, my '88 16V, which I've only owned
about 3 weeks, occasionally lets loose a fairly strong
sulfur (rotten-egg-like) smell. I have no idea what might be
causing it, and the one time it happened while I was parked,
I was unable to tell where it was coming from. I could smell
it both inside and outside the car. This generally might
happen once or twice a day, and seems to be completely
random. It usually goes away completely within a minute or
two. At first, I thought it might be other cars around me,
but as the saying goes, "he who smelt it, dealt it."

Granted, it is possible that my car is picking up on my own
habits ;-), but I'd really like to hear some ideas from the
list...if anyone has any. Could it be something wrong with
the exhaust?

TIA
Neal
- --