Re: [tech 16v] timing and compression

Have you checked the condition of the fuse-box?  The sciroccos are prone
to leaking through the grommets in the bulkhead / base of th windscreen,
and the water runs straight through the top of the fusebox and corrodes
the conductors, causing arcing & shorts.  The box is dead easy to
dismantle - the back unclips - the hard bit is getting access to get it
out and remembering which wire goes where!

Good luck...

>From: "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@nol.net>
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 12:13:50 +0000
>Subject: [tech 16v] timing and compression
>
>Well, the Corrado is running really nice so it's time to
>get back to my rocco. Ever since I washed the engine bay it hasn't
>been running right, well I did the obvios replace distributor, plugs,
>rewired + from strater to battery and ran extra wire from alt to
>battery, cleaned up the grounds, checked and set ignition timing.
>(16v 87 Scirocco)
>I did a compression test, now the  Bentley says to keep the car WOT
>while reading compression? Is this necessary? anyways this is what i
>got
>
>1-205
>2-205
>3-210
>4-220
>
>aint this a little high?? Well the car runs like complete crap now, I
>swear its valve timing thst's wayyy off, here's the symptoms
>the car is slow, boggy, slow to rev up in gear and slowto speed up,
>it takes me forever and a day to get to 45 and I think I top out at
>60mph in it in 4th..5th gear i just loose speed. The car has
>absolutely no power and the engine does shake quite a bit more than
>it should, also exhaust is very put put puttery.
>
>Setting cam timing does'nt look that hard, but I don't want to mash a
>valve. I can't find the timing mark on the cam sprocket, theres no
>hash mark on one of the teeth, what the heck??, and have no idea
>where to look or what I need to remove to see the crank timing mark
>and the dampner mark. Is all this stuff visible from above the engine
>bay?
>
>thanks and its nice to be back.
>Ryan
>1987 16v Rieger Scirocco