RE: tranny is toast

Don't have it rebuilt...ouch!  Too expensive.  Sounds like you have the
90mm drive shafts which means not the close ratio tranny (9A)  You
should be able to but a used one with between 80-120k miles on it for
between 375-450.  Throw in 35 bucks for a seal kit and your set.  I paid
another 275 bucks to have a good mechanic rip out my old and replace it.

A rebuilt will cost you upwards of 900, and to rebuild yours, more than
that.  Don't do it unless you are thinking about throwing a 6th gear in
! :)

Anyway just my 2c worth

jared