Wont start

Since its gotten cold on the East Coast I've had some problems with my
'87 16v not always starting.  In the morning I turn on the ignition and
will hear nothing but the huuuum or buuuuz of the fuel pump and the
various bells and wistles coming from the dash.  I'm confused, the car
doesn't crank or anything! I try it a couple more times and eventually
it will crank and I'm on my way.  After the car has been started, it
will run and start for the rest of the day.

What's going on! I'm afraid I'll be stuck somewhere in the middle of a
cold N.Y. night.  HELP

Paul
'87 16v with a cold start problem
- --