fuel pressure gauge

hi guys,

i was wondering if it's possible to use an oil pressure sender (like the
ones on cabrios) to measure fuel pressure?
the reason i'm asking this is 'cause i haven't been able to find a
reasonably prices fuel pressure gauge/sender that don't involve bringing
gas into the dash (the only ones i've found are from Autometer, about
150$cdn).
by the way it'll be used on my A3 2.0l which has a little fuel pressure
test port at the end of the injector rail (so you can measure pressure
after the regulator has done it's job).

if it does work, maybe Brett can make me a gauge face that would read
"Fuel" instead of "Oil".. and the best part, it would be a VDO!

also i no longer need the upshift light, has anybody put anything
usefull in it's place? how about an O2 air/fuel meter or maybe a fuel
mileage indicator like on some BMWs? I ripped of an original water temp
sensor that fits in it's place from a golf (no upshift light) , but it
reacts too slow to voltage changes to be used for something else more
meaningfull.

thanks,
Nigel Heron
86 Scirocco