Re: Headlight problems & not starting

even though you're a Mac user, I'll help ya. :)

these are standard problems on Sciroccos, especially old, high mileage
Mk1's like yours and mine. It's most likely some connections at the back of
the fusebox, and/or the fuse box itself. This explains the intermittent
quality of your headlight prob. Whenever I have stupid electrical probs, my
ox light starts acting up too. ??!

If you haven't yet, get some new battery cables, and add a bunch of ground
straps in the engine compartment. This will solve 90% of starting probs
like the one your having.
run some 8-10 gauge wire from the neg cable to the coil mouting plate, from
the front crossmember to the block, or alternator mounting(with the ground
from the back of the alt) and anywhere else you can think of!!

About this list going down: NO!!!!!!!!!!! this SUCKS! I hope someone is
able to host it soon