Headlight problems & not starting

Hi everyone,

I have a couple problems that I hope you might be able to help me with.

First, the passenger-side low-beam headlight on my '81 Scirocco has ceased
to function.  The high beam goes on, but not the low beam.  I've checked the
bulb (which works perfectly in the driver's side) as well as the fuse (I
even took it out and cleaned the contacts).  I've check as much of the
wiring as I can see easily (the connector on the back of the light, etc.).
The problem seems to be intermittent, too--it worked for about a week but
hasn't worked since.

My dad (the original owner of the car) swears that some of the relays under
the dash control the headlights and that the lights have occasionally not
gone on at all unless he tapped the relays.  I can't understand why the
passenger low-beam would be separate from the driver-side, though.

Also, I've started having trouble getting the car to start.  The starter
turns the engine over at the normal speed, but the engine won't start.  It
doesn't seem to be related to temperature--it happens both when the engine
is cold and warmed up.  The car got a complete tune-up a few months ago
(plugs, cap, rotor, etc.) so I don't think that's the problem.

About the same time this started, my OXS idiot light started staying on
after I started the engine (until I sped the engine up).  I mentioned this
at the VW dealership the other day and the guy said that "Sciroccos are
notorious for needing a little extra throttle at startup to make the fuel
injection system work properly."  Is this true or is there something wrong?
Neither of these things (not starting and OXS idiot light) has been a
problem before (the car has over 216,000 original miles on it without ANY
problems).

If anyone has any suggestions for things I might try to get my light working
again and getting the engine to start normally, I'd REALLY appreciate
hearing them.  (The last thing I need is to get stranded somewhere or to get
a "fix-it" ticket!)

Thanks in advance for your help; I've really enjoyed all the information
that's available on the list!

John Woodward: <http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~jwoodwar>
Macintosh EvangeLista (visit <www.evangelist.macaddict.com> for information)

THINK DIFFERENT!  THINK APPLE!

"Being a Mac user is like being a Navy SEAL: an elite group of people with
access to the most sophisticated technology in the world, who everyone calls
on to get the really tough jobs done quickly and efficiently."

"Apple is continuing to make complex technology simple and more
accessible--and people more productive."
- --