Re: Some confusion about my motor swap. I'll clarify.

Frank,

> The motor I'm using is a 1.8l 8v from an '86 GTi. The engine code is RD. It's
> 102hp and 9:1 compression. This is straight from the Bently Bible. I won't
> need a knockbox.

I'm sorry to tell you that a RD is 10.0-1 not 9.0-1 & you won't
necessarily need a Knock box if you can get at least 93+ octane
ALL the time.  I must have looked in the same bentley when I did
my motor because it said the same but looking at a Factory repair
fische said 10.0-1 & with further research I found that to be
true.....so speaking from experience do the knock box it's way
better than worrying about cracking/burning a hole in a piston. Take
my word for it it WILL ping at some point especially on a hot day &
you do live in Florida right?  It does get nasty hot in the summer
right? Knock box it!!

> I'm replacing the timing belt, tensioner, water pump,
> rear/intermediate/front seals, oil pan gasket, waterneck gasket, clutch,
> thermostat and whatever else I can get. Once running, a big cam goes in along
> with a throttle body. I think that's it. I'm sure I'll think ofg more though.
> See ya.
>
> Frank

It's gonna be fun.....lot's o' revvs,  Have fun!!

Mike Potter
a.k.a. Potterman
kmpotter@ix.netcom.com
http://www.parts4vws.com