crank pulley bolt

hey guys!
i was reading the mail from the list and the post about the seat belt bolt
reminded me about when i owned a 87 red 8v scirocco. the engine was leaking
like a sieve, we determined it was a crank pully seal. we replaced all the
other pullet seals, except for the one that was leaking. we tryed and tryed to
get the bolt out, but nothing seemed to work. i broke 2 craftsman ratchets,
stripped out 3 sockets, heated it for over 30 miniutes a couple of times,
tryed to use the impact wrench, and a 4 ft breaker bar. still no luck.  we
finnaly resorted to filling the #1 cylinder with nylon rope to keep the engine
from turning over. this didn't even work. so weleft it and the car was
involved in a wreck and was totalled(that's how i ended up with my new love).
but i was just wondering if anyone else had these problems, and if so how did
they fix them. you know curiosisty killed the cat.
thanks alot
- -alan
87 silver 16v
- --