Re: Suspension....

At 09:48 AM 10/26/98 -0800, Alex Ting wrote:

>I guess it all depends on how firm is firm for
>you.

Very true!

>I probably going to go to the Illumina adjustables, as I've
>heard good things about them.

So have I.  Lots will tell you that they fail prematurely, but rumor has it
the failures had something to do with shaft plating & has since been
corrected.  Who knows.  I don't like that compression and rebound adjust
simultaneously, but oh well, they work for some people!

>Whatever springs you get, make sure you get progressive rates.

What makes you say that?  I'm not a big fan of progressive springs, IE
Neuspeed Race - they took forever to get stiff, and once they did get
stiff, the doorhandles were dragging on the ground.  Slight exaggeration,
but for me, they were too soft initially, allowed too much body roll - the
stiff part of the springs were 300#, barely adequate, IMHO, for a true
"racing" application(I know, they're not real race springs, but if that's
the case, why call them "race?").  See beginning of this message:).

Another thing - shock choice affects ride quality FAR more than springs.
IME, Bilsteins tend to be harsher than Konis.  I increased spring rates 50%
or so while changing from Bilsteins to Koni - and the car rode better.  A
LOT better.  Bilsteins are good shocks, probably the shock I'd choose for a
car on stock springs(that was not to be autocrossed, IE, my Audi), but IME,
with stiffer springs, Bilsteins make little bumps worse.  Virtually
everyone who has gotten into my car comments that it "is not as stiff as I
thought it'd be."  Right.  I've ridden in cars with MUCH softer springs
that ride a lot worse - shocks.  My car is only really obnoxious on dips
and rises - the kind of thing that compresses or decompresses the springs a
lot - the car lifts and settles hard.  Anyhow.  Simply curious as to why
you like progressive springs, Alex - not a flame!

I.Mannix
- --