Re: [tech] valve adjustment

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:57:15 -0500 "Wm. Josiah Erikson"
<josiah@gsinet.net> writes:
>Hey guys...
>    Just wanted to know any tips and tricks to adjusting the valves on
>JH. I'm going to be doing it tomorrow, unless I find out that I need
>some special tools that I can't get my hands on readily. I'll be reading
>the Bentley, but wondered if there's anything that isn't in there that
>would be good to know (Shawn? I know you did this recently.....)

Recently? Dude, what do you think I do for a living? Im constantly
adjusting valves, building sorry ass Diesel motors, doing engine swaps
all that sort of sorry pathetic crap. (Its the booze talking....)
So, what you need are something to measure the gap between the can and
the lifters. Something to depress the tapets. Something to remove the
shims. Something to measure the shims.

So, measure the gap first. Intake is .008-.0012 and exhaust is
.0016-.0020 in. Well, its all there in the bentley really. Haynes too.
Measure the gap, if its out of spec, remove the shim, there should be a
printing on the bottom of the shim, otherwise measure the shim with a
micrometer. Do the math, install the right size shim. Takes all of 30
minutes start to finish. Also, do it with the engine hot. If you don't
have spare shims available to you, measure all the gaps, and of those
that are out of spec, measure the shims. Do all 8 valves. Then write down
the shims you have in each valve. if you have one that fits the spec for
another valve, remove and install it where its needed. Then go buy the
shims you need, install those and your all set.

One helpful hint:
Buy a rubber valve cover first. Makes the removal and installation of the
valve cover easier.
good luck.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and