Re: Supercharged vs. Turbo

>You dont need to change the pistons with a low boost system. I'm going to
>run an 8psi turbo on stock Mahle HPC coated pistons (we'll see how this
>works, but i think it will) my BAE turbo manual says the system can be used
>on a stock engine. Granted it's not a good idea, you need to change a lot
>of minor things, but pistons aren't one of them.

    I can insert here the fact that my Callaway rocco has had the kit on it
since it had 900miles on it, and given obsessive (read typical, on this list)
levels of maintenance and short oil change intervals, the engine has lasted 138k
miles and still doesn't ever smoke. I must admit however that as far as the
turbo goes,the previous owner has rebuilt the original turbo 3-4 times in that
time. The old turbo was not water-cooled however, and in his final hurrah, he
replaced it with a new one that was. Now he and I have put only about 3k on the
new one, so it's too early to tell what will happen.

- -Noah

- --