The Great Muffler Debate

Greetings:

Just had to drop my $.02 in this debate (nothing in any particular order)...

Muffler choice really boils down to personal preference for the exhaust tone.
I've used supertrapps on everything from motorcycles to 440" v8s, and in all
cases, it was for the exhaust tone. In no case (except the motorcycles) did
they make more power. supertrapps do a good job of trapping high-frequency
noise generated by an exhaust pulse; my experience with these vs.
straight-through exhaust systems (flowmaster, for example (ya, ya, i know
about the reflectors and hemholz chambers, but there's no perf 'n pack to
absorb the high-frequency chirps)) has been much less interest by law
enforcers, even though supertrapps are often referred to as loud. Provided of
course you use the discs - supertrapps are baffles, which means the discs and
the diffusion slots are the designed methods for exhaust exit, as opposed to
out the end (hey, if you wanted to run an open-end glasspack, whyd'ya spend
$80 on a supertrapp when $20 for a cherry bomb would've done ya?!).
Flowmasters and Thrush CVX mufflers are LOUD at high-rpm, and have (to me,
anyway) an annoying 'tinny' content to their tone until the hemholz chambers
reach their operating temperature ranges. Dynomax basically makes a turbo
muffler (perf tubes, one or two 180' turns to expose more exhaust to
sound-absorbing materials) that seems relatively unrestrictive and pretty
quiet to boot.
I think the TT exhausts use the dynomax muffler; they seem to have a good
tone. Flowmasters remind me of the rice-boy exhausts tone-wise (rattle,
rattle, BUZZZZZZZZ) when used on small-displacement engines.

just my thoughts...

gary shelton
'80 scirocco s (with stock exhaust, no less, bahaha)