Re: [Re-tread thread] Re: tranny manipulation

At 05:06 PM 10/20/98 , Riley McDowall wrote:
>At 1:20 pm -0500 20/10/98, Aaron D. Patton wrote:
>>My bad.  The .80 kit is for the 16V trans.
>
>Ok, thanks to whoever posted the Autotech URL... I noticed that they called
>their .80 fifth gear set a "Factory" item.  So where can I get a .80 set?
>I'm not interested in anything taller than .80 because I don't want to
>trade 5th gear power for lower cruising rpms, and I also have a feeling
>that I'd get the highest top speed with the .80.  I know this thread has
>gone around before, but what the hell, this IS the scirocco-L :)

Oh yeah Riley, whatever... just shut up, noone wants to hear you anyways.
:)  hehehe.

Funny you should mention this, because I just plugged my dyno results into
the handy-dandy car-test program I wrote (LONG before CarTester, for the
record...), and had it compute some stuff with the different gears.

With my torque curve (and remember, this is *my* engine now, which dropped
off very quickly in torque after 6000), replacing the factory 0.91 with an
0.80 will raise the top speed from 199 to 200 km/h (124 to 123.5 mph).
Going to a 0.75, on the other hand, would slow me down to 194 (120.5mph).
An 0.71 gear would slow my car down to 190km/h (118mph).

The difference in torque available at the axle between the 0.80 and 0.91
varies by rpm, of course, but tends to hover around 13.5%, meaning that the
0.80 gear will get about 13.5% less torque to the front wheels at the same
speeds.  However, this difference starts to wane around 90 mph (150 km/h),
where it drops to 12%.  By 100mph (160 km/h), the difference is under 10%
and continues to decline. After 117mph (about 190km/h), the 0.80 will put
more torque to the drive wheels, and hence the top speed would be increased
slightly.

With my specific torque curves, putting in a (theoretical) 0.83 gear would
give the highest top speed, 202km/h. (125.5mph)

Remember, folks, YMMV... these are my personal torque curves. :)
		Jason

- --