Re: 3 Lugs

At 10:45 AM 10/19/98 -0400, Rich Deede wrote:
>How unsafe would it be to drive with only 3 lugs on of my tires?  I ask
>because One of my lugs is stripped and I won't be able to get a new one
>till friday.  But I nee to drive a bit before then, but i don't want my
>wheel falling off AGAIN while driving.  TIA.

If the other three are torqued, chances are, it won't fall off.  Whats
stripped?  The hole?  Front or rear?  If it is a bolt, go to the autoparts
store and get one.  If it is a hole with stripped threads, get a tap and
run it through - that might fix everything.  If it is the front hub, well,
replacing a front hub is a bit of a PITA.

Obviously, don't drive like a moron with 3 bolts, check their torque
often(I use 85ft/lbs on mine) - get a t-wrench, too, so you know they're
right.  I'd not think it a good idea to drive very far on 3 bolts, but
OTOH, I've seen many people do it for a long time.  Is it the hole or bolt
that is stripped?  This is the result of your wheel falling off, making it
the front wheel, correct?  If so, you'll have to replace the hub - if it is
just a bolt that is stripped, get to a junkyard or parts store and get one
to put in.  You might be able to tap the hub & not have to replace it.
Good luck!

I.Mannix
- --