Re: Supertrapp exaust question-Toyota and Scirocco

At 10:48 AM 10/19/98 EDT, BADCO45@aol.com wrote:
>Is anyone running a supertrapp on ay of their cars? I'm thinking of putting
>one on my '77 Celica Gt liftback, with a 20R. I will probably keep the stock
>manifold and resonator, it is 1 3/4" pipe. I would like to run 2" from there
>to a 2" core 18 1/2" long steel supertrapp(4" discs). I'd like to run one on
>my '81 Scirocco too. It has a lorwitz(sp)? 2" exaust with a euro GTI
manifold.
>I'll keep all that on it, and run 2" from that back. Are they as good as they
>look? I know some of you auto-x'ers are running them(mannix). Thanks.

I use a Flowmaster on my car, and actually, I hate Supertrapps:).  Counnas
has one on his Rabbit, I think some other VWs at the autocrosses have them.
 I use a Flowmaster on the GTI - 2" pipe from the header to a 3"
inlet/outlet 2 chamber Flowmaster.  When I got this muffler(to replace my
old, dented 2.25" Flowmaster), I had two choices - a 2.25 which would have
fit OK, OR, a 3" that fits really well.  Laid the mufflers side by side,
the 3" is the same muffler - baffles are the same, just the inlet is
bigger.  OK.  Moved the power up a bit, but that's OK - the car feels good.
 IME, Supertrapps tend to resonate BADLY inside the car - rode in the
Counnas Rabbit once, ok, loud, everything resonates, vibrates - no
interior.  OK.  Rode in a 4 door Rabbit, full interior, seat up, sounded
_exactly_ the same.  Huh.  I like Flowmasters.  They're loud OUTSIDE the
car - inside, the Flowmaster is great.  The 3" is a smidge louder than the
2.25, but that's OK.   Dynomax ultraflow/magnaflow/toughguyflow/whatever
they call them are pretty good, too - quiet, if you're into that.  I sorta
want to try a Borla Sportsman XR1 "bullet" muffler sometime.  Expensive
experiment, though.  The Leistritz pipiing sucks.  DItch it.  Go to a good
muffler shop(ask the C-springs racers), get some pipe bent up, put the
muffler of your choice in.

FWIW, the 77 DSP Truck has a Supertrapp - is that a 20R also? Probably does
good things for power on that motor(whatever came in the 77 pickups), if he
has it on the truck.

I'll be in touch!

Iain
- --