Re: 16v engine...TURBO

At 08:26 AM 10/17/98 EDT, you wrote:
><< buy a rebuilt one  >>
>
>Get one from the J-yard and have it rebuilt. Saab's are usually good choices.
>While you are at it they can combine a T-3 (smaller) exhaust housing to a
>T-4(larger) compressor.  This allows more boost at a lower rpm.

So you're replacing the two housings, probably replace the impellers at the
same time, as well as the bearings. Is it really gonna save you money at
that point to buy a junkyard one and have it rebuilt, vs. directly buying a
rebuilt one? I haven't priced this, and don't know.

> <<fabricate the rest of the system>>
>
>An easy way to do this is get the plumbing off an Isuzu Impulse turbo.  You
>still have to do some fabricating, but not a lot.

And that plumbing will universally fit? If you can figure out how to get
plumbing to fit the 16V. I've got an 8V Callaway kit that I'll sell. It has
everything, but the exhaust manifold is bad, and the turbine housing is
pitted, and doesn't look like it'll last too long. Everything else is
there. I sold my 8V right as I was planning to do a Eurospec 2.0 swap and
turbo install. Its a long story. Anyhow, I have the intercooler plumbing,
intercooler, microfueler, oil lines oil fitting that need to be drilled
into the blocks, I think everything is there. I bought the kit used, spent
a couple hundred buying every last little part for it from ND, and now its
just sitting in storage.

>I have a friend who planned a 16v turbo on paper, but gave up because of the
>fuel system.  His plan was to go with Hal-Tech. (sp) But, it was too
>expensive.

FelPro was the name of the system I think that was self learning, and had a
wideband EGO. But it'll still probably cost $1000 or more. Haltech is only
so so. Electromotive seems to be better, but their customer support really
sucks from all I've heard. I just thought of another option. You need to
have something that will allow you to tune the injection pretty thoroughly,
right? There are companies that I think make software to do this with Ford
EEC-IV ECUs, which I think can be found on Mustngs and the like. Buy the
progtrammming software, buy an ECU and sensors from a junkyard, and that
might still be pretty cheap. The EEC-IV system would be way better than
CIS. Opinions?

Brad

- --