Re: 16v engine...TURBO

I am doing a turbo car now...It's not 16v, but I will tell you the path that I
am taking.  It may be helpful for others.

<< buy a rebuilt one  >>

Get one from the J-yard and have it rebuilt. Saab's are usually good choices.
While you are at it they can combine a T-3 (smaller) exhaust housing to a
T-4(larger) compressor.  This allows more boost at a lower rpm.

 <<fabricate the rest of the system>>

An easy way to do this is get the plumbing off an Isuzu Impulse turbo.  You
still have to do some fabricating, but not a lot.

<<pistons: anyone have some nice trick Audi pistons or anything we can
>drop right into out bottom end that will yield an 8.5:1 compression?>>

I used a G-60 bottom end.  I have a friend that is doing a 16v G-60 motor, and
he is having custom pistons made.

 <<just getting a thick metal gasket custom made>>

Go to the dealer and match a G-60 head gasket with the 2.0L 16v head gasket.
If they are the same, go with it.  Those head gaskets are BULLETPROOF.  Make
sure it's the metal G-60 gasket.  TT sells them for 100.00 or so.

<<Callaway kits mount them under the battery.>>

I have a Callaway kit, so this where mine is mounted.  I have a friend that
did a 2.0l 8v turbo.  He mounted the intercooler where the battery is located
and fabricated a hood scoop.  It worked well.  A 300z scoop will do the trick.

 <<A good aftermarket system>>

I have a friend who planned a 16v turbo on paper, but gave up because of the
fuel system.  His plan was to go with Hal-Tech. (sp) But, it was too
expensive.

This is one of the reasons I went with a G-60 block and solid lifter head.  I
can use reg CIS with an Audi turbo control pressure regulator.  I also have
the Callaway micro-fueler.

Good luck with the 16v project.  I hope it works out!  Keep us posted.

Patrick
82 Callaway  coilovers and 10.1" brakes this weekend

- --