Re: 16v engine is t...TURBO

At 11:38 PM 10/16/98 +0000, you wrote:
>woohoo the men after my heart. I plan to turbo my 2.016v project
>engine as soon as I get time to get to it..with this new Passat seems
>I got yet another toy to add to my list anyways....
>
>affordig the turbo is NOT the hard part,there are many cheap ways to
>do this..
>
>1> get one out of a junkyard off a recently departed audi, saab, or
>other turboed car. pros: it'll be cheap cons: it may not last long or
>have high boost potential
>2> buy a rebuilt one (one place advertises in the back of EC)
>pros/cons: it's almost as good as a new one, and less expensive but
>not as cheap as a junkyard
>3> buy a new one pros: you know its brand new and SHOULD last
>quite a while,may even get a warranty, cons: expensive

The turbo isn't the really big expense. All of the above options means that
you still have to fabricate alsmost everything else. And just randomly
grabbing a turbo off a junker may not get you what you want in terms of
power. If you're spending the bucks to fabricate the rest of the system, at
least get a good rebuilt one. This way you can choose which impellers you
want, as well as the housings to match your desired goals.

>Take into mind a manifold, the best manifold is going to be a
>4-1 with the turbo connected, I have seen other monstrcities where
>it's a stock 4-2 w/a hole cut out in the top and the turbo mounted
>there.

  A good 4-1 seems to be the way to go. You can get custom made equal
length shorty headers designed for turbos. I don't have any names handy
right now, but I know the guys at work, who run turbo drag bikes, will have
some ideas on who can build custom headers for turbos.

>also VW did somethign right w/ the 1.8T..the cat. converter is right
>after the turbo, which means the air heats up even faster and less
>risk of ruining your turbo during the first few min when the engine
>is normally still cold. Also on turbo engines, go with a frigging 3"
>cat back..back pressure is BAD, you want that baby to flow! the
>turbo witll provide the torque that back pressure normally provides
>on our naturally aspirated cars.

And turbos even have a tendency to quiet down the exhaust, so you can use a
more free flowing muffler, and still not be too loud.

>pistons: anyone have some nice trick audi pistons or anything we can
>drop right into out bottm end that will yield an 8.5:1 compression? I
>thought about doubling up motorsport gaskets or just getting a thick
>metal gasket custom made, but then the downpipe will have to be
>stretched(custom made) and dunno about hood clearence

It worked for AMS. THey have a copper head spacer, but its expensive.

>ic: if you're going for big boost, you can ditch the AC and put a 1/2
>height, long IC in front of the radiator, afterall were going for
>power not confort right? this will actually help the engine heat up
>faster too, but you many want to go with an oil cooler incase temps
>get too hot.

Callaway kits mount them under the battery. If you moved the washer bottle,
and a few other small pieces, you could fit a nice sized one on the
passenger side near the front, and feed it with either a hood scoop, or
remove a headlight

>ignition: lets not all forget you have to convert to some type of MAS
>fuel management system..motronic is very good, if you can get a loom
>and ecu cheap off a wrecked corrado do it. then you can even get a
>chip for it, else youre going to have to go with something toally
>customizable

I'd say start out with aftermarket ECU. Your kit will most likely be
different in terms of fueling and ignition requirements than any chip the
"tuners" will make you. A good aftermarket system, once you get it dialed
in(and this may take a while) will work much better than a stock system
bandaided to work on your car. A pretty cool sounding system I heard of a
while back actually used a wideband O2 sensor to tune itself, so that all
you had to do was enter the desired air-fuel ratios. Pretty trick, huh?

Brad

- --