16v engine is t...TURBO

woohoo the men after my heart. I plan to turbo my 2.016v project
engine as soon as I get time to get to it..with this new Passat seems
I got yet another toy to add to my list anyways....

affordig the turbo is NOT the hard part,there are many cheap ways to
do this..

1> get one out of a junkyard off a recently departed audi, saab, or
other turboed car. pros: it'll be cheap cons: it may not last long or
have high boost potential
2> buy a rebuilt one (one place advertises in the back of EC)
pros/cons: it's almost as good as a new one, and less expensive but
not as cheap as a junkyard
3> buy a new one pros: you know its brand new and SHOULD last
quite a while,may even get a warranty, cons: expensive

here are my thoughts...please comment

Take into mind a manifold, the best manifold is going to be a
4-1 with the turbo connected, I have seen other monstrcities where
it's a stock 4-2 w/a hole cut out in the top and the turbo mounted
there.

also VW did somethign right w/ the 1.8T..the cat. converter is right
after the turbo, which means the air heats up even faster and less
risk of ruining your turbo during the first few min when the engine
is normally still cold. Also on turbo engines, go with a frigging 3"
cat back..back pressure is BAD, you want that baby to flow! the
turbo witll provide the torque that back pressure normally provides
on our naturally aspirated cars.

pistons: anyone have some nice trick audi pistons or anything we can
drop right into out bottm end that will yield an 8.5:1 compression? I
thought about doubling up motorsport gaskets or just getting a thick
metal gasket custom made, but then the downpipe will have to be
stretched(custom made) and dunno about hood clearence

ic: if you're going for big boost, you can ditch the AC and put a 1/2
height, long IC in front of the radiator, afterall were going for
power not confort right? this will actually help the engine heat up
faster too, but you many want to go with an oil cooler incase temps
get too hot.

manifold: I've seen the turbo golf ralley (yellow) check out it's
intake manifold, one very large chamber connected to the bottom half
of our manifold..the bigger the chamber the better, will hold your
boost longer..but adds to turbo lag - your call.

ignition: lets not all forget you have to convert to some type of MAS
fuel management system..motronic is very good, if you can get a loom
and ecu cheap off a wrecked corrado do it. then you can even get a
chip for it, else youre going to have to go with something toally
customizable

head: p/p does help on a turbod engine, not as much as a na engine,
but it is worth looking into, real world my friends G60 Corrado with
pathetic 4lbs of boost on a good day, kept up with my 200+hp G60
putting out 17lbs of boost...whats the difference? he has a p/p head,
manifolds,nology system and a header, other than those our car were
identical, just make sure they don't make the intake ports on the
head satin smooth, the need to be a bit rough it's VERY noticable at
high revs and high speeds

Ryan