WOO HOO! Bought a Rocco finally!

Hey all.  Yep, I finally found a decent Scirocco worth buying.  I've
been on and off the list for a couple years now.  I'm the guy who had
the 89 Scirocco Scala and 81 Scirocco 1.8 when I lived in Germany for
those who might remember.  I've also had in the past an 80 Scirocco and
86 Scirocco.  I moved to Utah June 97 and couldn't believe the
assortment of trashed Sciroccos I looked at.  At the moment I'm on
vacation (actually driving a sugar beet truck in MN for a few weeks) and
I stumbled on an 88 Scirocco 16V at a small used car dealer in Grand
Forks, ND.  I saw it at night and looked at it briefly figuring it would
be trashed.  I was in the area again today and decided to check it out.
I really thought I was going to be able to rip it apart with problems.
To my surprise, of what I've seen so far, the car is in great shape!  It
has a blown parking light...whoopie..and a crackling noise around the
coil area.  It sounds like a sparking noise, but it doesn't affect the
way the car runs.  It still seems to run strong like a 16V should.

But anyway, the car is a red 88 16V with only 93k and some change miles.
It seems to have been repainted a few years ago, but the ground effects
are a bit faded.  I could tell someone had made a feeble attempt at
fixing the side bolsters on the front seats.  They are much lower than
they should be.  It has A/C, sunroof, but no cruise.  To my surprise,
the A/C actually works...brr.  Gotta love that R12.

Where does the water temperature gauge hang out for those of you with
16Vs?  This one was running about 3/4 up the gauge.  Is that a bit high?
I know it's not bad, but I'd like to see it a little lower.

But anyway, thanks for listening.  It's good to have a Scirocco again.
I just agreed to buy it tonight, so I don't even have it in my
possession yet.  I'll be picking it up tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have
more questions for ya.  :-)

If I could get some comments/advice on the crackling noise and the temp
gauge, I'd greatly appreciate it!  Thanks!

Oh btw, I only paid $1400 for the car!

On a side note, I need to figure out how to get this car to UT.  Anyone
in the MN / ND area needing transportation to UT?  All you need to do is
drive an 88 Scirocco there.  Gas is on me.  My wife is with me but hates
to drive and I need to drive the GTI that we have with us now.  We'll be
coming thru Montana also if anyone there wants a free trip to UT.  I
should be able to persuade the wife into driving to your location.  I
hear a big snowstorm is coming thru the UT mountains...ahem...skiers?
Bring your friends!  It's free!  :-)

- -Mike
95 GTI VR6
88 Scirocco 16V