Re: 8v 2.0 L vs. 16v 2.0 L

I think you pretty much have everything dead on.

> 1) I am guessing that parts are cheaper for the 8v engine.

Yes, cheap, and much easier to find.  I think another reason most people to
fit a 2.0L block to an 8v over a 16v is that most people already have an 8v
as opposed to a 16v.  so they don't have to swap eningines out, and go to
something foreign to them.

> 2)I know the bit about busting up heads and valves if the timing belt
breaks on the 16v, but it seems to me that if one stay on top of the timing
belt changes this shouldn't be an issue.

That point may scare people also.

> 3) Is the 8v easier (less complicated) to work on (being SOHC as opposed
to DOHC)?

Probably yes.  I've never worked on an 8v myself, but man is there ever a
lot of space in there!

> 4) Is the 8v more durable??

I don't know about more durable, maybe this goes back to  the timing belt
thing.  i've got 237,000KM on my 16v, and besides replacing the timing
belt, its never needed any work, and compression is still way up in all
cylinders.

> 5) Is it just a matter of the 2.0L 8v costing less to purchase??

Another point.

> I am asking this b/c it seems that owners of both the 8v and 16v love
their engines.  I defintely want to upgrade my engine to a 2.0 L, so I want
to learn to pros/cons of my two options.

I guess it depends on the budget.  if you already have a 16v car, then i
would definatly stick with it.  I'm sure with the same amount of money put
into an 8v and a 16v, you would have a faster 8v, but if you have a large
budget, go with the 16v IMHO of course.

	HTH

Owen
87 16v